April 25, 2013

THIS ARTICLE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A PEDICURE

I only have a little spare time this morning - and the choice is either to spend it writing this blog or to get the planned pedicure. Considering what some Christians will face today a pedicure is ridiculously frivolous - and I am ashamed of myself. A few minutes ago I was about to discard our small pile of newspapers in the kitchen when an article by Brian O'Neel in the National Catholic Register caught my eye - and my heart: 

"Anti-Christian violence during the first weekend in April marked an alarming acceleration of the centuries-old persecution carried out by the country’s dominant Muslim community."
"CAIRO — Tonight, an Egyptian Christian mother will lie awake, worrying if her kidnapped daughter was merely forced to marry a radical Islamist and convert or if her fate was much worse.
This Sunday, an Egyptian father will hitchhike more than 10 miles to the nearest church with his sons, not knowing whether the boys will be kidnapped by gunmen who don’t conceal their identities. Also uncertain is whether he and his fellow congregants will make it through Mass alive or whether extremists will set off explosives and shoot those inside.
Any day of any week, a priest in this ancient land will wonder how he can help his tiny flock survive against a system that basically says, “If you are not Muslim, you are not Egyptian. Therefore, you have no worth.” Read More Here: National Catholic Register 

I immediately dropped to my knees in front of my beloved Divine Mercy Image and begged Jesus to protect our fellow Christians from further harm and persecution. I begged Him to form a hedge of protection around them. I covered them in the Precious Blood of our Lord and I prayed not only for the extremists to desist - but for their conversion.

My heart breaks for these courageous and faithful men, women and children who live in this heightened state of fear and anxiety. We think we have "stress" in America? How blessed we are to attend our houses of worship freely and without fear - for now. (Things are rapidly changing and if we don't wake up - we will find ourselves in the same position.)  


For our brave Egyptian brothers and sisters in Christ - who cannot worship without fearing torture or death - there is no choice either. They risk their very lives for the love of God.


Very simply put - my purpose in writing this is to ask you to pray. Please - stop whatever you're doing at this moment - in the safety and comfort of your home, your workplace or wherever you are - and pray for our persecuted Egyptian brothers and sisters. Do it NOW. Thank you.
Post a Comment